Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Classes

Finally, after 3 weeks of the normal semester, I’ve decided which classes I’ll be taking. First of all, I have 8 hours a week of Russian as a Second Language classes (RSL). RSL is comprised of grammar, speaking, phonetics, and mass media classes. They are generally enjoyable (although phonetics last week was embarrassing because I’m the only person in my class who can’t roll my R – oh well), but sometimes the homework can pile up.

I’m also enrolled for three classes in Smolny Institute. What’s interesting about my study abroad program is that we have this chance to directly enroll in classes. Smolny is an experiment for Russia, being its first liberal arts college, so the classroom experience that the students receive (small classes, discussion based, etc) that seems so normal to us is extremely new and surprising for them. It’s really interesting to be able to take these classes alongside Russian students; not only does it help with language acquisition, but it also gives you a better look into Russian academic life.

My first class is extremely hard – so hard that I’m auditing it. It’s called “Can Russia be a nation-state?” and is taught by two professors, one history and one political. These professors pride themselves on being like Western academics and teachers to the point where the classroom expectations are far beyond what anyone would ever expect in the US. There is a ton of reading, a lot of papers and tests (that I will not be taking), and DISCUSSION. Classes in Russia are 3 hours long with a 20 minute break. This class sometimes is a little awkward because the professors are so set on class participation, but for many students, this is the first time they are being expected to analyze and discuss concepts (a normal Russian education consists of reading and repeating facts). This will be a great class to audit – already from the readings I’ve done, class has become much easier to understand since I’m familiarizing myself with the vocab.

My second class is taught in English and there are actually no Russian students in it. It is taught by a Russian professor, (who talks like Mr. Bean, so sometimes I have problems paying attention) and is about the relationship between Russia and the US in the 20th century, focusing on international security concerns. It’s interesting, and the reading is in Russian, so that is an academic bonus, I guess. I was a little on edge about taking a class with just Americans, but it’s nice to have a normal classroom experience that I can participate fully in.

Lastly, I have just decided to take World Music. This class is enjoyable, the people in it are wacky, all in all, it’s a fun choice. I’ve actually only been to one class so far, but it looks like the teacher lectures for an hour and a half, and then we listen to music for the second section. This week we learned about Indian music and listened to the sitar for a while. I was surprised by how little Russians are accustomed to world music – the sitar was a completely new experience for most of them. It will be interesting to hear their reactions, (one kid asked “so, how do people actually listen to this?) and I’ll also be able to meet some music students this way.

So, those are my classes! It won’t be too stressful, but I think I’ll get plenty out of it to make this semester worthwhile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Perhaps you'll learn a bit about Russian Pop in your World Music class and then help to inform the Wikipedia article on the subject...